Friday, April 29, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama

Wednesday, April 27th was a very hard day for the state of Alabama. We were hit by a massive mile-wide tornado. I have been struggling with what happened for the last couple of days & I'm sure I will struggle with this for much longer. My family & I have been very blessed & have received no damage (not even loss of power) from these terrible storms.

I watched a tornado go through Cullman, AL (the town Justin was born in) Wednesday morning. I watched the news all day waiting for the next storm to hit. I then watched a massive mile-wide tornado go through Tuscaloosa & come toward Birmingham. Justin was supposed to work until closing (10pm). I was so thankful when he called to say he was closing up the store early for the night & was coming home. He was home no more than 10 minutes & the tornado sirens began to go off. The four of us spent the rest of the night in the basement. As I sat in my basement with my husband & two kids, I can't begin to put into words the fear I felt. Our house & family were protected by the grace of God. I spent time checking in with friends in the area. I am thankful none of them were hurt. Some had damage to their homes & some even lost their homes but they walked away unharmed.

Now I am struggling with how I can help. I hate feeling helpless. Justin & I decided we needed to put a donation box in Schlotzskys. I went through my stockpile & was able to add a little to the donation box. I feel very blessed that I am able to contribute something.
I wish I could do more & hopefully I will be able to. For now, I am praying...I hope you will join me.

2 comments:

  1. So relieved your family is safe, I was talking to your Mom as the tornado headed for your home, relized I wasn't helping calm her any we were both becoming frantic!! Love the idea of a donation box and how great is it that you can just grab it from your stocked shelfs knowing you are helping others and at the same time keeping your family on budget. Our friends and family in Huntsville and North Al are still without power and may be for days or even weeks, such a sad time for our sweet home AL, we have made a cash donation to Samaritans Purse directed to the relief effort in AL, wish we were closer so we could help more but we all do what we can when we can, the gift of prayer is the greatest of all. Thanks for your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad ya'll didn't get any damage. We lost track of it after it hit all around us and we were all on the phone like crazy. One of the worst phone calls I've ever made and worst feelings. You are such a wonderful person and have such a big heart! I took an entire truck load of Mason's old clothes to the church and then bought the volunteers and such some snacks. It's the least I can do.

    ReplyDelete