Saturday, April 23, 2011

Preparing for Easter!

David had a t-ball game this morning. During the second inning he was able to play the pitcher position. He did really good hitting the ball & he was so excited to have Grandpa & Nanny here to see him play!

Meeting with the coach after the game.






After the t-ball game, Grandpa & Nanny took us all to to movies to see Hop. It was a really cute movie & both kids really liked it. My kids love going to the movies. We try to go as much as we can during the summer because most of the movie theaters play free movies. Otherwise, we don't make it to the movie theater much. Both the kids sit so well through a movie at the theater & of course, they love the snacks (aka popcorn)! :)

While the kids took their nap, I got some thing cooked for our Easter dinner tomorrow (I will post those yummy recipes tomorrow). I also got some eggs dyed so the kids can decorate them tomorrow. I don't think we are ready to dye the eggs together so I took care of that & the kids can cover the eggs in stickers. :)





For dinner, Justin grilled a london broil. With it, we had steamed broccoli & leftover Italian bread.

Marinade for London Broil
**This is a recipe my Mom got from a friend of hers. This is the only way I have ever eaten london broil & it is SO good! This is a big favorite!**

1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
2 T A-1
2 T sugar
2 T cider vinegar
2 T worcestershire sauce
2 T salad oil
1/4 cup water

Heat to boiling, then let cool. Good for 1 1/2 lbs of meat. Pour over meat & let stand in refrigerator up to 12 hours.

For dessert, I tried a new cake recipe. My Mom found me a new cookbook while she was visiting my Brother in SC a couple weeks ago, Taste of Home Cake Mix Creations. I made out of this cookbook, the Pastel Four-Layer Cake. The recipe had me use a boxed cake mix but I had to make my own frosting. I had never made homemade frosting before. I was surprised how easy it was! AND it is soooo much taster than the jarred icing you can buy in the store! I'm in love! I definitely suggest you try to make this cake! It is so good & it doesn't involve anything complicated. I had all the ingredients in my house except for shortening (I used up all of mine during Christmas). I love recipes where I have pretty much everything in house!

Pastel Four-Layer Cake

1 package (18 1/4 oz) chocolate cake mix
3 T all-purpose flour
Dash salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
Yellow, red & green liquid food coloring
1/4 tsp each lemon, peppermint, almond & vanilla extract
3 T baking cocoa

1. Prepare & bake cake according to the package directions, using two greased & floured 9-in round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
2. In small saucepan, combine flour & salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook & stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cover & refrigerate until cooled completely.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening & sugar until light & fluffy. Add milk mixture; beat until light & fluffy.
4. Divide frosting equally among four bowls, with 1 1/4 cups in each. To the first bowl, add 2-3 drops yellow food coloring & lemon extract until blended. To second bowl, add 2-3 drops red food coloring & peppermint extract. To third bowl, add 2-3 drops green food coloring & almond extract. To the last bowl, add the cocoa & vanilla.
5. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate, spread with green frosting. Top with the second layer; spread with yellow frosting. Top with the third layer; spread with pink frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with cocoa frosting. Do not frost sides of cake.





The kids set out their Easter baskets & a carrot for the Easter bunny before going to bed tonight.





Grace stealing a bite of the Easter Bunny's carrot




Sharing with Nanny




Story time with Grandpa before bed (It's Not Easy Being a Bunny)

No comments:

Post a Comment