Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring Break: Day 1

Today was the kid's first day of Spring Break (no MMO). The day started kind of rough, but it got better.


We had a play date at Overton Park with the Mom's group we belong to. I put in "Overton Park" into my GPS. I got to the park right at 10am (when we were meeting). I got the kids & our stuff out of the van & started walking toward the playground. I then realized, I didn't recognize anyone there. I called one of the other Mom's & found out we had gone to the wrong park! I went to the Overton Park in Inverness & we were supposed to go to the Overton Park in Mountain Brook. Who would have thought there are two Overton Parks in Birmingham (both on Overton Dr)!! Of course, my GPS didn't have a record of the park we were supposed to go to. I put in Overton Dr in Mountain Brook, AL & drove down the road until I came across a park. By 10:30am, we had made it to the park. I was pretty upset thinkning about all the gas I used up trying to find the park & the kids were upset because I promised them the park, got them out of the van, then put them right back into the van. But, all was forgiven & we were over it by the time we were on the playground playing. :)



For us to go out anywhere, it takes at least 20 minutes. It took us about 45 minutes to get to the play date this morning (not counting the time I used looking for the actual park). When we go on these play dates or outings that take that long in the van, I usually try to make a whole morning or afternoon out of it. It's the only way I can justify driving that far & using the gas. So, by 11:15am, the play date was over & everyone was starting to head home. The kids & I had lunch on the patio of Schlotzskys. The kids always LOVE going to Daddy's restaurant & eating pizza. It was such a nice day & it was the first day this season we have been able to eat outside. We sat on the patio eating & talking for about an hour.



Our last stop was at Leeds Park. It was on the way home & I wanted to give the kids some more park time since they only got to play 45 minutes this morning. We stayed for almost 2 hours!! Time sure does go fast when your chasing two kids around a packed playground!








For dinner tonight I made Chicken Breast on Rice. It was very good. I have never froze this recipe...I'm not sure how it would turn out.

Chicken Breast on Rice
**This recipe is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. My Mom made this growing up.**

1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can milk
3/4 c uncooked regular rice
1 can (4oz) mushroom stems & pieces
1 envelope (about 1 1/2 oz) dry onion soup mix
2 chicken breasts, split in half

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend soup & milk; reserve 1/2 c of the mixture.
3. Stir together remaining soup mixture, rice, mushrooms (with liquid) & half the onion soup mix.
4. Pour into ungreased baking dish, 11 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches.
5. Arrange chicken breasts on rice mixture. Pour reserved soup mixture over chicken & sprinkle with remaining onion soup mix.
6. Cover; Bake 1 hour.
7. Uncover; Bake 15 minutes longer.

1 comment: